Menu

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Being Muslim in Russia

According to wikipedia, Islam is the second largest after Christian Orthodox. It is around 25 million muslim. But compare to Indonesia, the number is nothing. In Indonesia, 85% of the population are muslim.

There are lots of things between being muslim in Indonesia and in Russia. 
1. Masjid
In Indonesia, I can find masjid easily to pray. In my neighbourhood, there are 5 masjid. I can go to any masjid I want. But in Russia, especially, Izhevsk, there are three masjids. They are Izhevskaya Sobornaya Masjid, Masjid Imam Nury, and
the newest masjid near the centre.

At first, it was difficult to do the praying. It was because of of the praying time. Slow but sure, by the help of muslim app in android market, alhamdulillah, everything was fine.

2. Halal Food
For muslim, halal food is important. Finding halal food in Izhevsk is sort of easy. There are some stores that sells halal chicken and beef. I can buy the halal meat in Okean and stores near the masjids.

In Indonesia, halal food is everywhere. I dont need to worry about the halal of the food.

3. The Muslim itself
I was in Izhevsk for almost three months. I felt the different atmosphere there as a muslim. Since I am a woman, and I also wear hijab, people can see me automatically that I am a muslim. When I met other muslimah, I was so happy and welcomed as a family. They treated me as their sister. I felt like I was home. 

I am so grateful. I live in Indonesia. I live in a country where 85% people here are muslim. I can listen to adzan every day. I can go to Masjid anytime I want. I dont need to be worry because of the food, whether its halal or not. In here, it is easy.

What makes me sad is, with that huge number of muslim, we still fight with other muslim too. What is wrong with us? Muslims are sisters, brothers. We protect each other. We love each other. We welcome each other by heart. Why can it be happened here?  Are we too busy to show who we are actually? We make muslim community with whatever the aim. But none of the aim is to make our close to each other. There always be a barrier between one community to another. 

I hope, I wish, soon, muslim in Indonesia realize that we are sisters and brothers. I hope we can unite for the sake of Allah SWT. Aamiin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your critics,,