Menu

Monday, June 09, 2014

HITCHHIKING: воткиск

Yeah, you are right. HITCHHIKE. Hitchhiking base on wikipedia is a transportation that gained by asking people, usually stranger, for a ride. Yep, stranger. I had this experience with my buddy, Rinat. He has visited seven countries by hitchhiking. IT IS AWESOME!!!!

So, here is the story. It was Friday. I needed to but the train ticket from Izhevsk to Moscow. At first, I wanted to leave on Tuesday,  27 May. When were lining up to buy the ticket, I was doubt to leave on Tuesday or Wednesday. He suddenly asked me what I would do on Monday. I said nothing particular except packing. And he asked further, whether I went to the job. I said, no. Today was the last day. Then, he asked again, what I would do in Moscow. I explained to him that I would meet my Indonesian friend and go for sightseeing. He surprised me by saying this, well, if you dont mind, we can go to Votkinsk on
Monday and Sarapul the next day, by hotchhiking ofcourse. And you already know what I said. YES!!!!

I was so excited and nervous. I never done this before in my life. I was so nervous till I couldn't sleep the night before. For Monday, we promised to meet at Administration Bus Stop at 11am and for Tuesday, we would meet at 10.30 at the южная автотания. He said he would wait me there and he would not bring his phone with him.

воткинск
From the bus stop near my house, кинотеатр Аврора, I need to take bus number 36. This bus comes every 30 minutes. I asked Natasha about this bus and the bus stop and she said I have to go out earlier. I would go in the morning, and she was not sure I would come on time. Then, I decided to leave the house at 9.30. I need to buy some apples and water to drink for my trip.

It only took 15 minutes to shop and since the bus stop is in front of the supermarket, I just need to cross it. In 10 minutes, the bus number 36 arrived. I was shock. I was thinking whether to take this bus or the next bus. Then I decided to take this bus so that I wont be late to be there.

When I got off from the bus, I looked around and realised that the bus stop is not the one that I meant. I checked my 2GIS and I was right. I missed  5 bus stops. It meant that I have to go back for 5 bus stops. STUPID ME!!!!!

I needed 30 minutes to walk for 5 bus stops. I checked my phone, it was 10.30. I just sat and relax at the bus stop. While I was waiting for Rinat, I was reading a book, The fault in our stars. 

At 11 something, he came. And we took another bus to take us to the end of the city. THEN, we started to do hitchhiking. The weather was so nice, sunny and windy.
Rinat suddenly raised his thumb as a sign that we need a ride. Many cars passed by. Some of them gave a response such as saying or making a no sign. We were kind of happy when the drivers responded. It meant that they paid attention to us.

Twenty minutes passed by. I was lil bit worried. I was thinking maybe my appearance, wearing hijab, was the obstacle.

Then suddenly, a small truck stopped after waiting for about an hour. The driver couldn't speak English so I just being silent and ask one or two questions to Rinat.

Rinat said the first rule of being a hitchhiker is talk to the driver first. And welcome him nicely.

The driver was nice to us. They talked along the road. Rinat told me that he was from Yekaterinburg to deliver some materials for building house to Votkinsk. He even told him that he was a bad man before. He was addicted to drug but bless him, he suddenly realised that he couldn't be like that forever. So, he quit and joined the rehabilitation. And now, he has a life and work as a driver.

When we wanted to went back to Izhevsk, Rinat started to make a sign of needing a lift. And again, some people responded what he did *yaaay. There was a local people who yelled at us. He told us where to get on a bus. But Rinat said no. We did hitchhike.

It was not pretty long. There was a small truck *again who gave us a ride. He is from Tajikistan. And he played tajikistan songs and arabic songs. As usual, Rinat talked to the driver mostly. But this time, he was soooooo sleepy. He didnt talked much. Even he fell asleep in the truck. I wanted to say something too but I have problem with language, which is I dont speak Russian :(

An hour later, we arrived in Izhevsk. We thanked him very much for giving us a ride.

About HITCHHIKE, I agree with this quote ...

You can see the places that we visited in Votkinsk from this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your critics,,